There will certainly be times at Williams when you would like to travel outside the U.S. It is important to know what documents to carry with you to reenter the U.S. after a temporary absence (less than 5-months).

What to carry

  • Form I-20 with valid travel endorsement signature. Your travel endorsement signature is provided during the SEVP check-in & registration and should be updated every 6-months, including students on OPT/STEM OPT.
  • Valid Passport at least 6-months into the future at all times.
  • Valid U.S. Visa (Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement). If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., the next time you travel outside the U.S. you must renew your visa in order to reenter the U.S. A meeting with the ISS to discuss visa renewal is encouraged.
  • Financial evidence detailing the source and amount of your funding.
  • Current class schedule or academic transcript (can be unofficial).
  • SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt. If you cannot find your SEVIS fee receipt, visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program I-901 fee processing website to request a copy of your receipt.
  • EAD Card (if on OPT/STEM OPT)
  • Letter of Employment (if on OPT/STEM OPT)

Travel Within the United States

On a daily basis, please keep your documents in a safe location, however when traveling within the U.S. (air, train, bus or ship) you must carry your passport, Form I-20, and Form I-94. Make sure to keep photocopies of all your documents, in case they are lost or stolen.

Entry in Another Country or Study Away

Before traveling to another country or leaving on study away you must contact the consulate of the country you are visiting (including Canada) to inquire about visa requirements and travel procedures.